Saturday, January 25, 2014

A Meeting

Night. Greasy rainbows
swim in alley pools. Fragile glories
reveal themselves like a priceless heart
hidden in costume jewels.
At the feet of gray tin garbage cans
the cabbage leaf and fish head
hold their tête-à-tête. I am coming.
Silent as the city,
trotting on tiny feet.
Soul of the city;
It’s epigram;
Nonchalant
and selfish.

Moving towards you, I
who passed all else by.
The rain upon the pavement
is like a black rubber rain slicker.
The alley’s red brick face
is a face of authority,
a cop.
When you pass this way by daylight
it will all be addresses,
acts and facts;
the bricks are made of bricky mud,
the cop waits for his bus.
Is this all that it is-
that we keep different hours
or different hours keep us?

Dawn. The sky creaks open.
Swim up from your dreams,
I am coming.
Soon you will proffer, and I accept
the chipped blue bowl of cream.
You kneel down in pink terrycloth;
I look up and purr.
My pink tongue rasps your thumb,
I fill your palm with fur.

© Larry Haworth 1983

No comments:

Post a Comment