Thursday, March 16, 2017

Immigrant

George the Immigrant is what his descendants call George Haworth, the first Haworth in North America and my ancestor. This poem is partly based on his life.

We had a rough crossing: wild seas, fierce winds,
Killing cold; dark and foul drinking water,
Maggoty biscuit, months at sea. Many
Died: my own sister and brother-in-law
Slipped between the waves. At last, so relieved
To beach on those ordinary stones, I
Fell down on my face in numbed exhaustion.

I walk across Indiana, south to
North, alone as I never thought to be.
There are few Friends here, and God's voice is mute.
I am a willing worker, but stay in
Each place only a few days, rootless and
Unsettled. Where is my destiny, where
My home? For no horizon calls me now.

I move from emptiness to emptiness.
Inside their white beauty, clouds are empty.
The earth itself is empty; my body,
In its time, will not fill it. I can fill
Nothing, being myself as empty as
The clouds, the earth, the sea which swallowed my
Life into its vast echoing hunger.

© Larry Haworth 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment